Sign up for the EastEnder newsletter

Join Our Mailing List
For Email Marketing you can trust

Sunday, March 24, 2013

March 4, 2013 EEAC Mtg Minutes

EEAC MINUTES – Monday, March 4, 2013 Call to Order EEAC President Jackie Weist called the meeting to order at 7:02 pm at the LeBlond Rec Center. There were 21 in attendance (12 residents). She thanked Laurie & Melisse for arranging for the new EEAC sign at the corner of Kellogg and Riverside; Barb, as secretary, will update the message. Contact: Secretary Report – Barb Rider The February 11, 2013 minutes were distributed and approved with 2 changes: LeBlond memberships are $2 for children and $10 for adults. Contact: Treasurer’s Report – Jeff Stewart (absent) The report was prepared by outgoing treasurer, Sandy Hoover (absent), distributed and approved. There is a total of $20,831.07 in liabilities and equity. The books were audited by Matt Ackermann, and “found to be current and in order.” Contact: Police Report – Officer Germaine Love and 2 colleagues (Offices Miller and McBeth) gave the February EE crime report: no thefts from auto, but other B&Es and thefts: at the Shell station (2 from safes), Jeff’s Auto, Tostados, LeBlond (soccer posts). There was also a gas drive off, a shoplifting complaint, and a gun taken from a resident on Strader. Arrests were made for 2 offenses. Officer Love will check on the broken chain and graffiti at the Site station, as reported by Ruth Coon. Ruth also said mail was taken out of mailboxes at 2400 Riverside. There will be 2 hearings to comment on re-licensing for the Inner Circle on Kellogg: April 2nd (2pm) and 16th (6pm). Officer Love advised that we attend in a big group: attending a hearing is the only way to officially comment. Contact: 979-4480. LeBlond Report – Alayne Kazin Usage of the rec center continues to increase; there were 60 people today. She handed out the March schedule. Alayne is hopeful about funding for renovation; they are looking for support from the Cinti Reds & PNC Bank to move the baseball field. She said they are trying to purchase the adjacent razed school property ($790,000 sale price). Betty Burns commented that St. Rose is also interested in buying the site for parking, and urged us to seek corporate help with the purchase. Contact: Riverview East Academy – Charlene Myers, principal (Amber Stewart-Brown, resource manager absent) Charlene said metal detectors were recently installed; they will be used periodically to check students and visitors. They can now activate alarms on doors during events. Next year there will be an extra security officer. Gr. 7-9 students were taken to the Romeo & Juliet at the Aronoff ($5 tickets); Charlene was a walk-on in the ballet! The goal next year is to have every grade level attend a cultural event (e.g. Lollipop Concert, Art Museum, Symphony, Ensemble Theatre). Student participation in Toastmasters is sponsored by their business partner, Great American. They are working on a Health Information Management curriculum for next yr; students will have dual enrollment/credits w. Cinti State. Volunteers are needed to cull library and text books now at REA that have come from McKinley and other closed CPS and reorganize their set-up. Contact: City Liaison - Laurie Keleher Neighborhood Summit at Xavier U. was very successful – the best ever – with attendance over 470. All sessions were filled, and there were stellar presenters on great topics. The organizers received positive feedback on having 2 levels for the sessions. They are focusing now on getting more students engaged in community work (Avondale has done a great job). At lunch, participants discussed what citizen engagement is. A goal is to have the city set policy and be more transparent. Laurie will bring summit data to the next meeting. Bike Facility – Duke is on schedule to be done with Riverside gas line installations in April. Microsurfacing will be scheduled for warmer weather. Some tie-ins to properties will be done next year. Betty and Ruth said they are having trouble with Duke gas tie-ins and sidewalk repairs. We’ll have a ribbon cutting/parade/fundraiser convening at Schmidt in August. Unleashed Dogs - Charlene said there are problems at REA with dogs running loose. CPS is installing a sign on the school sidewalk reminding dog owners of the leash law. This is a recurring problem at LeBlond & Schmidt, also. Maybe we need to have doggie bags/signage. City Budget – Kevin Perkins reported that the new city parking plan vote passed committee tonight after a 4 hr discussion. NSP funds are probably not in danger; this is a very community-friendly council. This is the ‘stub year’ (Jan-June before the new fiscal year begins). Eastern Corridor (rail commuter line) - There is a meeting on Mar 20 6-8pm at the Anderson Community Center on 5 Mile Rd. Laurie will meet with Lew Seiler & Betty to prepare a presentation to the EEAC board. Entertainment/Business District – CT has requested expansion of their business district (EE needs to be named – no problem), with the southern side of Eastern Ave. as part of CT. We need to piggy-back on CT’s business district – they’re giving us a chance to develop our borders. Laurie will meet with Columbia Tusculum and an attorney about how to set up an entertain-ment district. Ruth discussed historical EE borders. Laurie said we need to collaborate w. CT. Flying Pig – volunteer to work in the Party Zone (link in last newsletter); EEAC makes $1050. Paddle Fest – June 21-22 Keep Cincinnati Beautiful – Jackie Clean Up Day – Saturday morning, April 27. REA students are helping (even though it’s prom day) Bumper Stickers – available for $2. “Steamin' to Greatness” NSP report – Melisse May (absent) No report. Contact: 3 E Report – Nick Motz (absent) No report. Contact: Community Relations – Sandy Hoover (absent) The next Meet and Greet will be at BrewRiver on Tuesday, Mar 19 at 6:30 for EE, CT and Linwood. Contact: New Business Discussions - Jackie • There is a plan for a $1.2M residential/commercial project at the site of the East End CafĂ© on Eastern Ave. Contact: • Budget will be discussed at the next meeting. Melisse suggested that we add $200 to pay for our own URL and website; the current blogspot is not user-friendly. • Hoff Ave - Regine Moss, lifelong Hoff resident and a board member at Pendleton (meetings on 2nd Tuesdays), spoke. As the “Mayor of Hoff Ave”, she discussed beautifi-cation issues there. The area needs attention – complaints to the city haven’t done any good. There are tires, brush, and garbage bags left for months on the side of Hoff. Jackie said that Kate Cristoff (aide to Yvette Simpson) will be at the EEAC meeting next month; she made arrangements for a couch on Kemper to be picked up in 48 hrs. • Clean up – An offshoot of KCB will work in Strader area with Joe Corcoran on March 23. • Inner Circle - Pete Georgeton, owner (who previously owned Bogarts on Short Vine, Clifton for 15 years), spoke. The complex on Kellogg includes 15 acres – motel, flea market (240 vendors – 150,000 people/year), pub, and dance hall. It has been around since 1981. The license is up for renewal. There is capacity for 2900 people outside and 1054 inside. The last criminal incident was in 2009 (maybe 5 police runs since then). There are 8 off-duty police (5 cruisers) & 42 security people inside, as well as 15-45 employees each night. Everyone who comes in is ‘wanded’ for security reasons. There are 16 security cameras. The music is country western (no more hip hop). Patrick Ormond commented that Inner Circle is a regional draw to this community; should a community council have power to revoke the liquor license on a regional draw? Laurie said the record has not been bad, and she doesn’t want revocation of license. Pete said the captain of District 2 wants them to stay; he calls the police before a big event, and wants the opportunity to work with police. His former long-time secretary attended EEAC meetings for years. Adjournment The meeting was adjourned at 8:18 PM. NOTE: You can read EEAC minutes and sign up to have monthly newsletters emailed to you at

Feb 10, 2013 EEAC Minutes

EEAC MINUTES – Monday, Feb. 10 2013 (make-up meeting for Feb 3 meeting that was canceled due to snow) Call to Order EEAC President Jackie Weist called the meeting to order at 7:06 pm at the LeBlond Center. There were 15 in attendance (9 residents). Secretary Report – The December 3, 2012 EEAC minutes were made available and approved. In secretary Barb Rider’s absence, Jackie appointed vice-president Michael Bolan to take notes. Contact: or Treasurer’s Report – Jeff Stewart The books were audited by Matt Ackermann, and all is in order. Contact: Police Report – Detective Kelly Macbeth reported 3 breaking & enterings of vacant buildings, 5 thefts (2 UDF drive offs and thefts from autos) for the month of January. There will be a free Personal Safety Awareness class presented by the Cinti Police Dept at Oakley Recreation Center on Wednesday, Feb 27 7-9pm. Contact: 979-4480 LeBlond Report – Alayne Kazin LeBlond memberships can be renewed at $2 children and $10 adults. Eight new spinning bikes have been added to the exercise room. Private funds are being sought to implement the long term plan for LeBlond that includes riverfront amenities. Contact: President’s report Proceeds of $1000 were reported from the efforts of the Flying Pig volunteers last May. NSP report – Melisse May NSP funds have not been set for 2013, but the EEAC is hopeful that $5000 will be made available for community projects. Residents were urged to make recommendations should the funds be made available. The new roadside sign (purchased with 2012 NSP funds) has been installed at Delta and Riverside to publicize East End events. Contact: Riverview East Academy – Charlene Myers Principal Charlene thanked the EEAC for sponsoring an honor roll breakfast for 165 students and parents. A career path curriculum was outlined for students interested in the health care field. To better understand the image of the school, a questionnaire was developed on why a prospective student would be drawn to the school. The school’s volunteer of the year award was given to Coach Carter. Contact: 3 E Report – Nick Motz An application for a 501c status for the East End/Columbia Tusculum/Linwood business collaborative is in process. Volunteers for the Flying Pig were requested. Contact: Community Relations – Sandy Hoover The next Meet and Greet will be at Brew River on Tuesday, Mar 19 at 6:30. Contact: Gardens • Lois Armstrong, of the Freedom Gardener group, distributed a brochure about classes and food swaps at the CT Carnegie Center on 1st and 3rd Sundays at 2PM. They hope to encourage raised bed gardening for the handicapped and to use gardening as a therapeutic tool. Contact: • Joe Corcoran, of the East End Garden District, said that a few more personal plots in the community garden area are still available for the 2013 growing season. Contact Joe for more information. The district will be supplying greens for Eli’s Barbecue. The Veterans Memorial EE BBQ in the garden district will be held August 10, 2013. Contact: New Business Discussions • The EEAC 2013 budget awaits clarity from the city about funding – Laurie Keleher. Contact: • Fence decoration and banners • Tire amnesty for up to 10 tires if brought to Queen City Avenue on March 23 • Liquor license renewal for the Inner Circle discussion in the midst of complaints about the behavior of patrons. The hearings are April 2, 2pm and April 16, 6pm - we must attend one or the other to comment. Adjournment The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 PM. NOTE: You can read EEAC minutes and sign up to have monthly newsletters emailed to you at

Dec 3, 2012 East End Council Minutes

EEAC MINUTES – Monday, Dec. 3, 2012 Call to Order Jackie Weist, president, called the meeting to order at 7:08pm at the LeBlond Recreation Center. There were 19 in attendance (15 residents/business owners). Contact: Secretary’s Report – Barb Rider The November minutes were distributed and approved. Contact: Treasurer’s Report – Sandy Hoover The November treasurer’s report was made available. Checks were written for the Riverview East Academy academic breakfast, annual PO Box fee, drinks & supplies for LeBlond movie night, and EEAC volunteer recognition at Wyatts. Books will be audited by Matt Ackerman of Columbia Tusculum. Total liabilities and equity are $23,494.29. Police Report –Officer Germaine Love and Sgt. Tucker Officer Love discussed the 16 reported offenses for the East End in November (fewer than in October): 4 thefts from auto (one from LeBlond Rec Center), 4 B&Es (including 3 at marinas & Botanics), 1 robbery (at Inner Circle; suspects were known to the victim), and 1 aggravated burglary (on McCullough St; suspects were known to the victim). Officer Love also provided holiday shopping tips: don’t take packages to the car and then return to shopping, watch people, be suspicious. Questions from meeting participants: Difference between theft and robbery? (robbery uses force). Aggravated robbery? (weapon involved). Burglary? (in home). Can we request paperwork be done at crime scene? (probably not). Contact: 979-4480 Election of Officers – Mary Dyer, Nominating & Elections Committee Ballots were distributed to those who had attended at least one meeting in the past 12 months. 12 ballots were returned, and counted by Mary and Barbara Grace. Officers elected unani-mously (and without competition): Jackie Weist, president; Michael Bolan, vice-president; Barb Rider, secretary; Jeff Stewart, treasurer; and Melisse May, NSP manager (absent). Mary led the oath of office. Jackie appointed to the 2013 Executive Board: Sandy Hoover, Community Relations; Laurie Keleher, City Liaison; Nick Motz, Community Development; and Bob Little, Advisor Emeritus. STRIVE Initiative – Greg Landsman The initiative includes superintendents, college presidents and social service agency heads from Cincinnati Public, Newport & Covington. STRIVE has 5 big goals, including kindergarten readiness, 4th grade reading success, increased graduation rates. Knowing that students with weekly tutors do 2 ½ to 3 ½ better than others, they are recruiting 1000 volunteer tutors who will work 40 min/week on primary grade reading, and maybe some math. Tutoring opportunities are available at Riverview East Academy. Background checks costing $5 (school day tutors) or $60 (after school tutors) are required. Laurie Keleher moved that we support & publicize this “Be the Change” program. Motion was seconded and approved unanimously. Contact: 513-646-0186 Eastern Corridor – Laurie Keleher, city liaison Laurie would like the EEAC to take a position on the Oasis Railway Project, one of 4 core Eastern Corridor Projects of OKI Hamilton & Clermont County: a light rail//Little Miami bridge/Rt. 32 rerouting project to move people between Milford and downtown. Please study the issue ( and email Laurie with your opinion. A committee can be formed, and a vote taken at an upcoming EEAC meeting, once more people review the plans (the project has been 30 years in the planning; there have recently been open houses and information in our newsletters). Laurie has worked on the issue with resident/attorney Lew Seiler, who is against the project. Negatives include expense, a bridge across the Little Miami, and prioritizing the moving of cars vs. people. Newtown is concerned about the impact on its downtown. Part of the project has recently been funded, and is moving forward (rail link from the Montgomery Inn Boathouse to the Transportation hub on 3rd St.). The Oasis Line (just north of Riverside, and then crossing south along Friendship Park) is being used, even though the Wasson Line (in Oakley/Hyde Park) is in a more populous area. However, it is not shovel ready, not for sale, and ends at Xavier University. The number, timing, and speed of trains have not been speci-fied. There will be 10 stations on the 17 mile line: at the Boathouse, near Torrence, Delta, Lunken, etc. Betty Burns said changes in the original plan have been made without public input, and that there would be a $17.63 subsidy per passenger per ride. Laurie cited flawed data (her house on Collins is not listed). Bob Little clarified that the Oasis project is not the 275 to 71 transportation corridor plan. Contact: LeBlond Recreation Center – Katie Lear A Movie Night is planned for Dec 14 at 6pm with $1 Skyline, popcorn & Tusculum pizza; pro-ceeds go to the EE Garden District. There are more activities; a monthly calendar is available. New expanded hours are 9am-9pm Mon-Thurs, and 9am-6pm Friday. Gift certificates are available; membership fees vary from $10 for srs & youth, $20 for 3 ma. use of the weight room, to $75 annual memberships. 53 bike lights were given out last Thursday; even Santa appeared on a bike. Katie warned against putting purses in trunks when parking at LeBlond (one was taken just minutes after the driver entered LeBlond at 6:30pm). Contact: Duke Overlook – Bob Little Bob has developed a proposal for Duke Energy to build an overlook with gazebo and limited parking at their site across from Fuel (“best view in the city”) when they replace contaminated soil (recent EPA order). Contact: Thank Yous! – Jackie Weist Jackie thanked Melisse May for a wonderful volunteer recognition at Wyatt’s on November 20, and Betsy Urban for great newsletters and community announcements. C/T Liaison – Nick Motz 3East, with 30 business members from Linwood, CT and EE, will become its own 501c3 organ-ization on January 1 (and not part of the CT neighborhood council). The only city-identified business district is Columbia Square. 3E is working to have an entertainment district. There is a CT social event at the Carnegie Center this Friday. Contact: Announcements The Community Service Day with Withrow HS, led by Joe Corcoran, has been re-scheduled. Nick will take him the gloves & bags that Jackie procured. Deidre Bullock continues to deep fry and smoke turkeys & ham through the holidays for sale benefit the Garden District - Jackie There is no Meet & Greet in December, and possibly not in January. An announcement will be sent to the newsletter mailing list – Sandy There will be no EEAC meeting in January. Email the city department of transportation (352-2366; to encourage finishing the bike facility. Duke is working its way west on Riverside Dr with under-the-road surface work; when they are finished and the pavement is re-done, the new car and bike lanes will be painted. There were questions about the bus stop area just east of BrewRiver GastroPub (jack hammering), and about parking and future development on Vance near the Dr. Scott building. – Laurie, Sandy, Betty Adjournment Next meeting: The meeting was adjourned at 8:17pm Monday, Feb 4 at 7pm - LeBlond Rec Center Read EEAC minutes and sign up to have monthly newsletters emailed to you at: